Copyright

©2011 Proventus A charity registered in England & Wales No 1131517

Tuesday 8 March 2011

What's in it for Me?

A question I get asked many times, and the short answer is nothing! The long answer is as follows but you need to know a little about me first.
Born on the 19th August 1937 in a place called Battersea which is in South London. I can remember seeing bombs coming down and houses and buildings in rubble on the ground but I survived all that. As a boy I started my work career as a butcher for about 9 years then joined the railway for the next 42 years or so. 
I reached the position of engineering supervisor and eventually retired. At the age of 66 yrs I was diagnosed as having cancer in my neck and throat and felt the time for me to leave this world had come. Undergoing a long operation for some 7 plus hours, during which time my heart started doing all sorts of funny things. I ended up in intensive care for 2 days and a further 10 days in a hospital ward.
Having recovered from that experience, I considered myself to be very fortunate only to be told 2 years later I had lung cancer, however after 6 months of all sorts of tests they decided it was not lung cancer at all but a fungus growing on my lungs which they treated and eventually cured. Left with emphysema, which causes me a lot of problems, lung wise that is, I sometimes look to the sky and say 
‘’if there is a god up there you have looked after me ''.

I am not a religious man and do not go to church, but consider myself a good person who will always give a helping hand. Seeing all the sick unsupported people I felt I could give something back, my way of doing that is to do what I can do, when I can, for Proventus. I am not a rich person but my time and effort were something I could give freely.

So the short answer to;
“What’s in it for me”? “Is the great feeling in my  heart  when I see many of the sick those being helped! That feeling is something that all the money in the world cannot buy”.

Brian - Kent 

No comments:

Post a Comment